Close Menu
We stand in support of Ukraine
Orlando Criminal Attorney
Get Legal Help Today! 407-634-6604
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Youtube
  • Instagram
Orlando Criminal Attorney > Blog > Family > How To Co-Parent When Your Ex Is Unreasonable

How To Co-Parent When Your Ex Is Unreasonable


Going through a dissolution of marriage (i.e. divorce) is one of the most stressful and difficult times a person could go through. Divorces involving children are even more complex and can result in the effects of the divorce being felt for a long time afterward. After the divorce is over, the two former spouses still have to co-parent together, and doing so is not always easy. Working with an unreasonable co-parent is incredibly frustrating and you may think there is little you can do about it. While you cannot change your former spouse’s behavior, there are some strategies you can use to still ensure you are co-parenting effectively.

Changing Your Form of Communication

You and your former spouse may find it difficult to remain civil with each other after the divorce, as the process can bring up many resentful feelings. If conversations with your ex continuously end in arguments, you can take control and change your form of communication. If you have to communicate with your ex, text them anything you have to say, as that can eliminate much of the hostility. Also consider using shared calendars, as it can help you and your spouse make plans with your child, and stay on top of what is happening.

Set Clear Boundaries

While some couples may resent each other after divorce, others find it difficult to stay apart. This is natural, as each person was a big part of the other’s life for a long time. However, remaining too close after divorce can be a mistake. It increases the potential that one spouse will question what the other is doing and who they are seeing, which can result in arguments. Limit your interaction with your ex to when you pick up or drop off your child to prevent them from becoming unreasonable.

Do Not Bring Your Child Into It

When you are dealing with an unreasonable co-parent, it is easy to assume that they are bad-mouthing you to your child. Even if this is the case, it is important that you do not bad-mouth your spouse to your child. Alienating your child from your former spouse is extremely harmful behavior, and your child may resent you for it in the future.

Understand Your Options

Sadly, some people are determined to be unreasonable, regardless of what the other does. When this is the case, you should review your parenting plan and your child custody agreement. You may be able to modify your child custody order, particularly if your ex is engaging in harmful behavior, such as alienating you from your child.

Our Family Lawyers in Orlando Can Help Create Your Parenting Plan

If you are going through a divorce that involves children, or you need to modify your current custody plan, call our Orlando family lawyers at O’Mara Law Group. Our seasoned attorneys can help you navigate child custody hearings, and will work with you and the other side to create a parenting plan that works for the entire family. Call us today at 407-634-6604 or fill out our online form to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys today.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

No content on this site may be reused in any fashion without written permission.

© 2019 - 2022 O’Mara Law Group, Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.