Orlando Parental Relocation Lawyer

When a divorced parent wishes to move with their child, it can be a complicated legal matter. Whether you are the parent seeking to relocate or the parent opposing the move, our Orlando parental relocation attorneys can provide you with the guidance you need.

Written and edited by our team of expert legal content writers and reviewed and approved by Attorney Mark O’Mara

Content last updated on: September 11, 2023

Most people move several times during their adult lives. Some common reasons include financial changes (i.e. a bigger or smaller house), job changes, a desire to be closer (or further away from) family, and a change of scenery. Many of these moves affect the parenting plan in a divorce or other family law order. If that’s the case, the judge may need to approve the move.

At the O’Mara Law Group, our Orlando parental relocation lawyers work with both relocating and non relocating parents. After all, both parents want the same thing, which is to protect the best interests of the children. However, while all good parents agree with that principle, they may disagree on the specifics. So, we provide cost -effective and lasting solutions which set the stage for effective co-parenting.

Short Distance Relocations in Orange County

As mentioned, divorced parents move frequently. Furthermore, circumstances may force people to move on very short notice. So, to better facilitate short-distance moves, Florida law recently changed on this point.

Parents only need judicial permission to move if the new residence is at least fifty miles from the old residence. Furthermore, the relocation must last at least sixty days.

Fifty miles is a long way. So, if the residential parent relocates in this way, it may be necessary to legally modify the parenting plan. For example, the pickup and drop-off schedule may need alteration. Otherwise, the non-residential parent may face possible contempt charges for failing to obey the court order.

Agreed Relocations in Orlando

Florida law strongly favors parental agreements. So, if the parents agree to the move, the judge almost always approves it. Sometimes, the judge may not even hold a hearing. Nevertheless, the judge must still approve the agreement. Informal side agreements, even if they are in writing and signed, are never enforceable in family court.

Note that “agreement” is different from “assent.” If the non-relocating parent simply does not want to start a fight, that’s not the same thing as an agreement. Also, note that almost everything is negotiable. So, the non-relocating parent may ask for some concessions in exchange for an agreement. An attorney can better facilitate these negotiations.

Contested Relocations in Florida

If the parents cannot agree on the matter, the relocating parent must file a motion to modify the prior orders. The requested change must be in the best interests of the children. That’s not the same thing as the best interests of the parents. Some factors to consider include:

Mediation resolves most contested modification actions. In fact, judges normally order parties to mediate the dispute before they set trial dates.

Count on Dedicated Lawyers

Parental relocations must always be in the best interests of the children. For a consultation with an experienced family law attorney in Orlando, contact the O’Mara Law Group. After-hours visits are available.

Contact Our Firm

Our Orlando Office

221 NE Ivanhoe Blvd. Suite 200 Orlando, FL 32804

What Our Clients Say

Schedule a Consultation Today

Schedule a Consultation Today