Close Menu
We stand in support of Ukraine
Orlando Criminal Attorney
Get Legal Help Today! 407-634-6604
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Youtube
  • Instagram
Orlando Criminal Attorney > Orlando Family Lawyer > Orlando Child Support Lawyer

Orlando Child Support Lawyer

Regardless of the actions and decisions of parents in regard to each other, a child deserves to receive support from both parents. In fact, the state of Florida recognizes that each parent has a duty to provide for their child financially. If parents are married and raising a child together, it is assumed that both parents are doing this. When parents separate, though, the parent who is not the primary caregiver will be ordered by the court to make child support payments. Consider the following about child support in Florida, and call our Orlando child support lawyer for more information that’s specific to your case.

How Is Child Support Calculated in Florida?

In Florida, the non-custodial parent will be ordered to make child support payments after parents separate or divorce. In order to calculate these payments, the state relies on Florida Child Support Guidelines. Under these guidelines, the amount of child support is based on the number of children for whom support is being provided and the combined income of both parents. The amount of child support that the non-custodial parent must pay is in direct proportion to their earning capacity. Consider the following example for reference–

Divorce parents Jack and Jill have one child, and they make a combined monthly income of $7,000 – $4,500 of which is contributed by Jill, who has custody of their child, and $2,500 of which is contributed by Jack. According to Florida’s child support guidelines, together, Jack and Jill should provide $1,212 worth of support together for their child on a monthly basis. Because Jill contributes about 64 percent of the combined income, she will be responsible for 64 percent of the child support amount – the court will assume that she is contributing this by virtue of having custody of her child. Jack, on the other hand, contributes about 36 percent of the income, and therefore is responsible for 36 percent of the $1,212 each month, or about $432. This amount will be his ongoing child support obligation.

Modifying a Child Support Order

Many parents wonder whether or not a child support order can be modified after it goes into effect. A child support order can be changed when the court finds that there has been a substantial change in the circumstances of the parties and the modification to the support order is in the child’s best interests. For example, it may be appropriate to modify a child support agreement if custody changes, or if one parent experiences an accident that results in long-term loss of income or earning capacity.

Talk to Our Orlando Child Support Attorneys Today

 If you and your child’s other parents are separating, a child support order will no doubt be a part of your divorce settlement. To learn more about Orlando child support orders, how they are calculated, who has to pay child support, and how they can be modified, call the office of the O’Mara Law Group directly today. Our lawyers are here to support you.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

No content on this site may be reused in any fashion without written permission.

© 2019 - 2022 O’Mara Law Group, Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.