Orlando Property Division Lawyer
Whether your marriage lasted only a few years or 30 or more, you and your spouse likely accumulated a number of assets together, from furniture, art and appliances to a home and cars. Maybe you even own investment property or started a business together. Figuring out how to divide all these marital assets in a Florida divorce can be a daunting, complex task. Whether you and your spouse want to take on this challenge together, or if the property division is better left for the judge to decide after a period of litigation and courtroom hearings, the Orlando property division lawyers at the O’Mara Law Group are here to help you find a fair and equitable division that meets your needs and protects your rights.
Equitable Distribution of Assets and Debts in a Florida Divorce
Florida family law calls for an equitable distribution of marital assets and liabilities in a divorce. While the court in most cases will strive to divide the property equally, it is not always possible to achieve a 50-50 split, and it is not always fair to do so. The court can divide the property unequally when it is equitable, or fair, to do so. The factors considered by the court when deciding whether to make an unequal distribution include:
- The contribution each spouse made to the marriage, including taking care of the home and the children
- The economic circumstances of each spouse
- How long the marriage lasted
- Whether the marriage caused an interruption of either spouse’s career or education
- How much one spouse contributed to the career or education of the other
- The desirability for one spouse to retain an asset, such as an interest in a business or professional practice, intact and free from any claim or interference by the other
- How much each spouse contributed to enhancing income or indebtedness of both marital and nonmarital assets
- The desirability of retaining the marital home as a residence for any children of the marriage, or if there are other reasons for giving the home to one spouse exclusively
- Whether either spouse intentionally dissipated or destroyed marital assets after the filing of the divorce or within the two years prior
- Any other factors necessary to do equity and justice between the divorcing spouses
How Our Orlando Family Law Experts can Help
When either spouse is seeking an unequal distribution of marital assets, the Orlando divorce lawyers at the O’Mara Law Group provide invaluable assistance in preparing a persuasive evidence-based case arguing for a fair division based on the above factors. Our expertise includes discovering hidden assets and making sure properties and income are properly valued and accurately stated to the court. Whether your case involves complex business valuations or tracing assets to distinguish between marital and separate property, our firm has the knowledge, skills and experience to protect your interests and help you reach your goals in the property settlement in your divorce.
If you are negotiating the property settlement with your spouse, we can help make sure negotiations stay on track, that all property is accounted for, and that you are fairly treated and meet your goals. If the matter needs to be decided by the judge overseeing your divorce, the O’Mara Law Group serves as a staunch, effective advocate for your rights and interests in Orange County family court.
Expert Family Law Help in Your Orlando Divorce Property Division
For expert advice and assistance regarding the property division in your Orlando divorce, contact the O’Mara Law Group at 407-634-6604.